Monday, May 17, 2010

Darien, Pronounced Like "Mary Ann"


But Darien Ain't No Lady

Wikipedia has some interesting facts about Darien, Connecticut:

  • A relatively small community on Connecticut's "Gold Coast," it is one of the most affluent towns in the United States.
  • With a median home price of approximately $1 million, Darien is one of the most expensive places to live in North America, and was rated one of the best places to live in America by CNN in 2005.
  • The public library in Darien … has consistently ranked in the top ten of its category in the Hennen's American Public Library Ratings Index of libraries.
  • Darien is primarily a Republican town, voting for George W. Bush in 2000 and 2004, and John McCain in the 2008 election.
  • An ambulance service, known as "Darien EMS – [Explorer] Post 53" is the only ambulance service in the nation staffed and run entirely by high school student volunteers [who are Explorer Scouts].
  • Chapter 14 of English author Nigel Williams 1994 travelogue From Wimbledon to Waco tells of his difficulties in reaching Darien from Interstate 95.
  • Film director Gus Van Sant went to high school in Darien.
  • One infamous native of Darien is convicted rapist Alex Kelly, who fled the United States to escape prosecution.
One of the facts about Darien not in Wikipedia is that the High School just lost it second opportunity to hire me.

As I noted several days ago, Darien contacted me to be a long-term substitute teacher, replacing a former Stamford colleague who was going on extended jury duty.

But that came to a screeching halt today at 5:20:

The explanation:

Hi Bob,

I truly appreciate your willingness to sub for us as well as the time and effort you’ve invested in the paperwork. Unfortunately, the situation has changed and we will not need your assistance at this time. The projected length of the trial has been reduced and the district has arranged to fill the position with one of our interns.

I apologize again for any frustration I’ve caused due to these uncertain and confusing circumstances. I hope that we may have another chance to work together down the line.

Best regards,

Dave

My response: (*Sigh*)

David,

Thanks for the explanation of why the long-term sub offer was withdrawn.

Consider this: not only was there the paperwork for the sub position, but there was also the opening for the Chemistry 7-12 position you posted several months ago. Do you realize how long it takes to fill one of those on-line applications, and to write your three specific essays, and to upload all the documents? Then you changed your mind and decided you really wanted a physics teacher.

Then you came to me last week asking me to be a long-term sub. I had to call CT Unemployment to learn how it would affect my payments. I had to fill out 8 pages of documents, then scan my birth certificate, then, today, my passport for Diane.

I made (and then canceled) an appointment for a drug test.

Also, Diane explained to me that HR is no longer accepting applications for regular sub positions because the current roster of subs is not getting enough work. So that application packet is dead, too.

I am REALLY good at what I do. I have 40 years of teaching experience and a research chemistry Ph.D. My Praxis II Content score was 200 (E). My Essays were 200. My week of subbing at SAR HS in Riverdale was nothing short of miraculous. Yet I am sitting at home, filling out applications that come to naught.

As I said to Nxxxxx earlier, I am glad I took my blood pressure pill today.

If you ever get truly serious about hiring the best chemistry teacher in NY/CT. Give me a call.

Thanks,

Bob

At least I made the right decision not to get fingerprinted earlier today, and not to drive to Norwalk for a drug test. Those would have cost me $19.25 in cash for the first, and gas and time for the second.

And another fact about Darien:

  • According to the Darien Historical Society, the name Darien was decided upon when the residents of the town could not agree on a name to replace Middlesex Parish, many families wanting it to be named after themselves. A sailor who had traveled to DariĆ©n, Panama, then part of Colombia, suggested the name Darien, which was eventually adopted by the people of the town.

Even then they couldn't make up their minds!